If you are an avid player of League of Legends (LoL), you must have heard of the term MMR. It is a vital component of the game, especially if you are keen on climbing up the ranks. But if you are a beginner, it could be confusing and intimidating. Hence, in this blog post, we will demystify MMR, explain its significance, and how it works in LoL https://lol-script.com/blog/what-is-mmr-in-lol/
What is MMR?
MMR stands for Matchmaking Rating. It is a hidden numerical value assigned to a player that determines his/her skill level. Therefore, while the public rank is based on divisions (silver, gold, platinum, etc.), MMR is a more accurate way of matchmaking. For instance, if you have a high MMR, you will be matched with players of a similar level, irrespective of their rank or division.
How is MMR calculated?
While the exact formula used for MMR calculation is a trade secret, we do know the following factors are considered:
- Wins and Losses: The primary factor that impacts MMR is your win/loss record. Winning games will increase your MMR, and vice versa.
- The strength of opponents: If your team wins against a team with a high MMR, your MMR will increase more than if you win against a team of low MMR.
- Personal contribution: If you perform exceptionally well in a game, even if your team loses, your MMR will not be severely impacted. Similarly, if you performed poorly in a win, it may not boost your MMR as much.
How does MMR affect matchmaking?
Just as MMR determines your skill level, it also influences the matchmaking. The LoL matchmaking system tries to match players with similar MMR, so the games are balanced and challenging. For instance, if you have a high MMR, you could be matched with players from a higher division/rank than yours, ensuring a challenging game. On the other hand, if you have a lower MMR, you could be matched with players from a lower rank/division to balance out the difference.
Why is MMR important?
MMR is essential because it reflects your skill level and influences your rank/division, winning rate, and the quality of games you play. It also enables players to climb up ranks based on their skills and not pure luck or grinding. For instance, if you have a high MMR, you could skip divisions and ranks, while if you have a low MMR, you could demote from your current division. Hence, MMR is considered a more accurate reflection of a player’s abilities than their public rank/division.
How to improve your MMR?
Improving your MMR requires consistent gameplay, excellent performance, and a few tips and tricks. Here are a few things you could do to increase your MMR:
- Play frequently and consistently. Randomly playing games will not be sufficient.
- Focus on your performance rather than just winning. If you perform well, your MMR will increase, even if your team loses.
- Play with a team that has a higher MMR than yours. It can help you learn from better players and increase your MMR.
- Keep a positive attitude and avoid toxic behavior. It could lead to a penalty, which could negatively impact your MMR.
In conclusion, MMR is an integral part of League of Legends, and understanding how it works is crucial for any player who wants to improve their game and climb up the ranks. Your MMR influences several aspects of the game, from matchmaking to rank, and a high MMR could open up several opportunities. Therefore, by following the tips mentioned earlier and consistently performing well, you could improve your MMR and reach higher heights in League of Legends.