Neuromusculoskeletal care is now a widely accepted form of healthcare for most people. This holistic approach is renowned for alleviating pain, improving posture, and enhancing overall well-being. But is neuromusculoskeletal care safe for everyone, specifically pregnant women and children? In this article, Dr Lauren Papa will fully discuss the concerns and benefits of neuromusculoskeletal care for these two special populations.
Neuromusculoskeletal Care And Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a profound experience among women that comes with numerous physiological and hormonal changes. These changes often result in discomforts like back pain, sciatica, and pelvic misalignment. In that case, neuromusculoskeletal care can be a safe and effective way to address these issues and help provide relief during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Neuromusculoskeletal Care During Pregnancy
- Alleviating pain and discomfort – Pregnant women commonly experience lower back pain and pain in the pelvic region due to their shifting center of gravity. Neuromusculoskeletal adjustments can help realign the spine and reduce pressure on the nerves, providing significant pain relief.
- Improving alignment and balance – Pregnancy-related hormonal changes can result in ligament laxity and joint instability. Neuromusculoskeletal care may help maintain the integrity of the spine, ensuring proper alignment and stability throughout the pregnancy.
- Easing labor and delivery – Pelvic alignment is essential for a smooth labor and delivery process as it allows the baby to move with ease through the birth canal. Neuromusculoskeletal care can help adjust and maintain pelvic alignment, which may contribute to shorter labor and a more natural, less invasive birthing process.
- Reducing the risk of complications – Proper pelvic alignment not only ensures a smoother delivery but also minimizes the risk of complications like dystocia (prolonged or obstructed labor) and the need for medical interventions such as cesarean sections or forceps use.
Neuromusculoskeletal Care and Children
Like adults, children may also experience certain musculoskeletal issues that can benefit from neuromusculoskeletal care. Nowadays, neuromusculoskeletal treatments for children are generally considered safe and can be modified to accommodate the child’s age, size, and specific health needs.
Benefits of Neuromusculoskeletal Care for Children
- Addressing spinal misalignments – Active lifestyles, sports, and even the process of birth can cause spinal misalignments in children. Neuromusculoskeletal care can help detect and correct these misalignments, promoting optimal spinal growth and development.
- Improving posture – Poor posture in children may lead to long-term issues such as pain, muscle imbalances, and reduced spinal mobility. Neuromusculoskeletal care can help improve posture by addressing spinal misalignments and strengthening supporting muscles.
- Reducing pain and discomfort – Children experiencing pain from sports injuries, accidents, or growth spurts may benefit from neuromusculoskeletal care to alleviate discomfort and promote healing.
- Enhancing nervous system function – The spine plays a crucial role in the function of the nervous system. Neuromusculoskeletal care can help optimize nervous system function by ensuring proper spinal alignment and movement.
- Supporting immune function – Research suggests that neuromusculoskeletal care has a positive effect on immune function. This will be highly helpful for children as their immune systems are in the development stage.
Always Consult Your Healthcare Professional Before Neuromusculoskeletal Treatments
Although neuromusculoskeletal care is considered safe for pregnant women and children, Dr Lauren Papa says that you should still consult with your healthcare provider before pursuing this treatment. This is especially true if you or your child have any existing medical conditions or concerns. By doing so, your healthcare provider can help determine whether neuromusculoskeletal care is appropriate and advise on any necessary precautions.