Family medicine is a unique specialty that allows you to do many things in the course of your career. It’s a broad field with several subspecialties, so you’ll be able to find one that fits your interests and expertise.
Plus, family doctors like myself Dr Francene Gayle have patients they treat over the course of many years, which is unlike most other specialties in medicine.
It Covers A Wide Range Of Specialties
- Family medicine is a broad specialty that includes many other specialties which includes internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, geriatrics and psychiatry
- Family medicine also includes osteopathy which is a form of alternative medicine that focuses on the relationship between the musculoskeletal system bones and muscles, nerves and circulation with overall health. Osteopaths use manual manipulation of these structures to treat disease or improve symptoms
- You can use the knowledge and skills you learn in family medicine to do research, teach and treat people with a variety of conditions
- Family medicine is a specialty that focuses on the whole family. It is a broad specialty that covers many different conditions and treatments
- Family medicine is a great choice for those who want to do research and teach, as well as treat people with a variety of conditions
The Field Requires A lot Of On-The-Job Training
- You’ll need to learn a lot on the job
- You will have to adapt to new situations and be able to deal with challenging patients
- You must be able to think on your feet, because there is no time for preparation or planning you must be able to handle whatever comes your way when it comes your way
Subspecialties Within Family Medicine To Choose From
Family medicine is a broad field that encompasses many subspecialties and you can choose to specialize in one of these subspecialties, or you can practice general family medicine. Examples of common subspecialties include:
- Emergency medicine
- Pediatrics known as children’s healthcare
- Internal medicine
Will Have Patients For Your Entire Career
Family medicine as I, Dr Francene Gayle may define it, is a great choice for anyone who wants to get to know their patients and in family medicine you will have the opportunity to build relationships with your patients and follow them over time, learning about their life experiences and how they affect their health.
As an example, let’s say that one of your patients comes into your office with a cough that has lasted for two weeks. You might be able to diagnose him with bronchitis but wouldn’t necessarily know whether or not he was exposed to smoke at home or work or both.
You will want to see him again in two weeks so that if there are any changes in his condition, you can intervene early on before things get worse.
Taking Care Of One Family For Years Is Unique In Medicine
- You get to know the whole family
- You can treat the whole family right in your practice
- You can help educate the family about their health and how they can take care of themselves
Family medicine is a great choice for those who want to work with people over a long period of time, learn about their lives and become part of their families.
Family physicians can use their expertise in treating illnesses as well as helping people manage chronic conditions like diabetes or heart disease plus the field also offers many opportunities for research and teaching at medical schools around the world.