Anyone who has done even a little bit of research on SEO knows that keyword research is an important part of any online marketing strategy. However, there is more to it than simply finding a list of relevant terms and phrases to target.
In order to truly optimize your website for search engines, you need to understand the different types of keyword planner and how they can be used to improve your results. In this guide, we’ll take a look at three of the most important types for online marketers:
- One of the most basic forms of keyword research is simple word association. This involves thinking about the topic of your website or product and brainstorming a list of related terms and phrases.
For example, if you sell bicycles, some related keywords might be “cycling,” “bike,” “bicycle,” “mountain bike,” etc. It can be helpful in generating ideas for content or product names, but it’s not very useful for actually optimizing your website for search engines.
- Another common type is looking at the search results for your target keywords. This can give you an idea of which keywords are being used most often to find websites like yours.
It can also help you identify any potential negative keywords (terms that are associated with your site but that you don’t want to show up in search results) that you may need to add to your website’s meta tags. However, it only provides a limited view of the overall picture. In order to get the most accurate picture possible, you’ll need to combine multiple types.
- One final type that every online marketer should be aware of is competitor analysis. This involves looking at the websites and social media profiles of your competitors to see how they’re using keywords. This can give you some insight into which keywords are most effective for your industry and which ones you should avoid using on your own site.
It’s important to remember, however, that competitor analysis is only useful if you’re willing to put in the time and effort required to do it properly. If you’re not willing to do the work, it’s better to focus on other aspects of your online marketing strategy.
By understanding which keywords your potential customers are using to search for products or services like yours, you can make sure that your website and social media presence are optimized to attract them. There are a number of things to consider when conducting keyword research.
- First, think about the various ways that someone might search for your business. They may use different terms depending on where they are in the buying process. For example, someone who is just starting to research a purchase may use more general terms like “outdoor furniture,” while someone who is ready to buy may use more specific terms like “patio set.”
- You’ll also want to consider the different ways that people search on different devices. For example, someone searching on a mobile phone is likely to use shorter, more concise phrases than someone searching on a desktop computer.
No matter what business you are in, keyword research is an essential part of formulating an online marketing strategy. By keeping these things in mind, you can ensure that your research is comprehensive and will help you reach your target customers.